International Baccalaureate Diploma Computer Science
Welcome to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Computer Science course for the International School of Lausanne!
Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer… because it teaches you how to think. - Steve Jobs
As usual, schedules are subject to change based upon teacher judgement, class needs & calendar disruptions. Updated versions will be posted here with last edit dates.
- Computer Science class of 2016-2018 (last edit: September 2017)
- Computer Science class of 2017-2019 (last edit: August 2017)
- IB Diploma Computer Science syllabus (HTML)
- IB Diploma Computer Science full guide (PDF)
- IB Approved notation for pseudocode and flowcharts (PDF)
The units are presented here numbered according to the syllabus, not according to the sequence they will be taught. For that information, check the schedule documents.
- Unit 1: Systems fundamentals
- Unit 2: Computer architecture
- Unit 3: Networks
- Unit 4: Computational thinking, problem solving and programming
- Unit 5: Abstract data structures (HL)
- Unit 6: Resource management (HL)
- Unit 7: Control systems (HL)
- Unit D1+D2 OOP concepts+features
- Unit D3: OOP programming
- Unit D4: OOP programming advanced (HL)
- Case study (HL)
- Internal Assessment
- Extended essay (optional)
- Exam review
IB Assessment weightings
|Examination||Standard level||High level|
|Exam 1: Short answer & structured scenarios. Units 1-7.||45%, 1h30||40%, 2h10|
|Exam 2: Object orientated programming. Units D1-D4.||25%, 1h00||20%, 1h20|
|Exam 3: Case study (HL only)||n/a||20%, 1h00|
|Internal assessment: Solution||30%, 30h||20%, 30h|
|Internal assessment: Group 4 project||0%, 10h||0%, 10h|
3rd party resources
Check out some of the great online programming resources available.
Looking for programming project ideas?
- "I Need Practice Programming": 49 Ideas for Game Clones to Code
- Code Abbey (213 problems)
- Mega Project List (110 problems)
- Daily programmer challenge
Need help debugging your code?
If you come across any other site worth adding to the list, please let me know!