International Baccalaureate Diploma Computer Science
Welcome to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Computer Science course for the International School of Lausanne!
Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer… because it teaches you how to think. - Steve Jobs
As usual, schedules are subject to change based upon teacher judgement, class needs & calendar disruptions. Updated versions will be posted here with last edit dates.
- Computer Science class of 2016-2018 (last edit: September 2017)
- Computer Science class of 2017-2019 (last edit: August 2017)
- IB Diploma Computer Science syllabus (HTML)
- IB Diploma Computer Science full guide (PDF)
- IB Approved notation for pseudocode and flowcharts (PDF)
- Archive of unit documents from previous website - for class of 2016-2018
The units are presented here numbered according to the syllabus, not according to the sequence they will be taught. For that information, check the schedule documents.
- Unit 1: Systems fundamentals
- Unit 2: Computer architecture
- Unit 3: Networks
- Unit 4: Computational thinking, problem solving and programming
- Unit 5: Abstract data structures (HL)
- Unit 6: Resource management (HL)
- Unit 7: Control systems (HL)
- Unit D: Object orientated programming
- Case study (HL)
- Internal Assessment
- Extended essay (optional)
- Exam review
IB Assessment weightings
|Examination||Standard level||High level|
|Exam 1: Short answer & structured scenarios. Units 1-7.||45%, 1h30||40%, 2h10|
|Exam 2: Object orientated programming. Units D1-D4.||25%, 1h00||20%, 1h20|
|Exam 3: Case study (HL only)||n/a||20%, 1h00|
|Internal assessment: Solution||30%, 30h||20%, 30h|
|Internal assessment: Group 4 project||0%, 10h||0%, 10h|
3rd party resources
Check out some of the great online programming resources available.
Looking for programming project ideas?
- "I Need Practice Programming": 49 Ideas for Game Clones to Code
- Code Abbey (213 problems)
- Mega Project List (110 problems)
- Daily programmer challenge
Need help debugging your code?
If you come across any other site worth adding to the list, please let me know!